Fog Cannon Subsidy Scheme, MBIE
In November 2022, the Government announced it would provide a subsidy for eligible small retail businesses to install a fog cannon. The fog cannon is intended to be a preventative measure against the growing issue of retail aggravated robberies and ram raids.
The team responsible for implementing the Scheme required an efficient and secure way of receiving, and promptly assessing and approving subsidy applications. The Scheme needed to go live on 1 February 2023.
In December 2022, Business Connect added a form to the business.govt.nz website that allowed retailers to pre-register their interest in the Scheme, at the same time the Business Connect team quickly created the application service.
The application form for the $4,000 government subsidy was prototyped with FormBuilder.govt to allow for quick iteration of the content. The prototype was tested internally and with a selection of retailers and ultimately used for sign-off by decision makers. Being able to rapidly prototype the solution was key to delivering the service within a tight deadline.
- The Fog Cannon Subsidy Scheme was delivered on the Business Connect platform, with applications open just seven working weeks after the subsidy was first announced.
- A simple application process optimises the experience for the retailer, while the case management tool allows easy management and efficient processing of the application.
- As at August 2023, over 2,900 applications had been received and processed through the platform. In that time, no technical issues were raised relating to the application form with the Business Connect customer support team.
- Funding for the Fog Cannon Subsidy Scheme was increased due to the high level of interest and the number of applications received and processed. The overwhelming feedback from businesses has been positive with the majority of those completing a customer satisfaction survey rating the service a 9 or 10.
- The Fog Cannon Subsidy Scheme example demonstrated an agile and highly efficient method of delivering new government services to business.
The responsiveness of the Business Connect platform is incredible. I have complete confidence in its ability to efficiently deliver Government services to New Zealand businesses.
Glen McCloy, Manager Fog Cannon Subsidy Scheme, MBIE
Get in touch to find out more about how Business Connect could help your organisation deliver better online services, faster.
You can email us at email@example.com.